Saturday, August 18, 2012

Growing Up with Fairies


The Cotton Wool of the Dandelion
by Yun Free Stock Photos
 ©Tomo. Yun

The start of my believing in fairies came from my cousins.  One of them went by the name of Pixie at a summer camp we all attended.  She tried to give my sisters and I fairy related nicknames too.  I was Sylph.  I never really got called that though.

Pixie's younger sister was even more influential though.  She taught me all about fairies.  To her they were physical beings who brought light and kindness into the world.  You couldn’t see fairies, but you could see something close, in white dandelions, and the cottony stuff from cottonwood trees.  I was once reprimanded for kicking a dandelion to spread the seeds.  That would hurt the fairies, you see.  If you wanted to spread dandelion seeds you had to blow on  them.  I don’t think I ever believed in fairies the way my cousin did.  I came up with my own way, but it all started with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment