Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dandelion Seeds

Dandelion Seeds Blowing in the Wind by David Clarillet
Licensed under Creative Commons
I recently re-watched the Tinker Bell film from Disney.  I'd forgotten their use of dandelion seeds in the birth of Tinker Bell.  When the baby laughs which gives birth to the fairy, a burst of wind made the dandelion seeds in a window garden take flight.  One of the seeds flew all the way to Never Land, where a fairy poured pixie dust on it.  After the pixie dust touched the seed, it turned into Tinker Bell.

I liked that the film used dandelion seeds in their creation of fairies.  It reminds me of the connection between dandelions and fairies that I was taught as a child by my cousin.  I suppose that the connection between dandelion seeds and fairies is a more popular idea than I'd originally thought.

I also liked the idea of fairies requiring spiritual, physical, and mysterious magical entities to be born.  That is the symbolism I see in the use of the first time a baby laughs, the dandelion seed, and the pixie dust, respectively.  I cannot see the physical forms of the fairies I believe in.  Perhaps they do not have any.  However, I don't think fairies would exist if physical matter did not exist; there is an important symbiotic connection between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment