Friday, September 7, 2012

Fantasy and Spirituality

Fairy in Fantasy World by Redwine Photography
Licensed under Creative Commons
This blog post is made somewhat as a response to Serena Castells' comment to my previous post.  I thought her distinction between fantasy and what one really believes about the world interesting.  In some ways I don't think my beliefs in fairies are related to my beliefs in the real world.  I am effectively coming up with my own fantasy universe to base my spirituality off of.  There aren't enough explanations in the real world, which I can see and understand.  That is why I've created my spiritual world.

In a way, I think I distinguish the real world from my fantasy/spiritual world.  The limits I see of the real world are based on my observations, or at least research into the observations of qualified people.  Similarly, the limits I've created in my fantasy universe which I base my spirituality off of are also based off my interpretations of the spiritual universe, as well as the interpretations of other qualified people.

I don't recognize very much of a difference between fantasy and spirituality.  All stories are spiritual whether they are fiction or non-fiction.  I find that many spiritual texts have elements of fantasy in them, and many fantasy texts have elements of spirituality in them.  I guess the difference would simply be the purpose for which they were intended for, which doesn't matter to me.  I'll use whatever I read to suit my own purposes, regardless of what the original purpose may have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment